Re: [LAU] Running TImidity

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2007 - 13:30:26 EET

Am Mittwoch, 26. Dezember 2007 schrieb David Baron:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 26. Dezember 2007 schrieb David Baron:
> > > What are some good settings for Timidity to get less latency and less
> > > burden on the system. Default gives broken sound. A realtime-priority=50
> > > (-51 in top) gives clean sound. Noticeable but not awful latency.
> > > However, it bogs things down.
> > >
> > > Timidity does not work with jack. It should.
> >
> > It does, just use -Oj as additional argument.
> >
> Works -- does not place a port in the audio but it does work.
> One cannot start it on bootup because it apparently will fail as root.

Huh? Here, if I start it like this: "timidity -ig -Oj some.mid" I can see audio
ports in qjackctl; if I start it in server mode (using -iA and no filename) I
see ALSA sequencer ports too.

I think a good place to make it start automatically would be the "Execute script
after Startup" in qjackctl's Setup dialog (Options tab).

Edgar