Re: [LAU] usb soundcard: xruns and latency even with -rt kernel

From: Jacob Lee <jelee2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2007 - 03:53:18 EET

On Dec 27, 2007 6:30 PM, Geoff Beasley <songshop@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> do you use Rui's rtprio? that should help. Are the tickless & hpet timers
> enabled in the kernel ?

I hadn't run into rtprio before. It seems to be a relatively blunt
tool for invoking chrt -- in my case, it finds an internal sound card
that I don't care about and also a few other usb-related interrupts
that don't need to be on high priority. It does, though, also increase
the priority of the rtc and i8042 irqs, which I hadn't been doing. So
now I'm (manually) setting rtc highest, followed by the irq for the
usb bus my soundcard is on, followed by the two i8042 interrupts. It
hasn't seemed to help, though.

Here are my HPET and timer settings. They -look- correct to me, though
I'm not really sure what they all mean. Is there anything else I
should look at?

CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_HPET=y