Re: [LAU] [ANN] AZR3-JACK released

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 29 2007 - 21:49:18 EET

On Friday 28 December 2007 07:37, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 10:37:29PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Monday 24 December 2007 17:17, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > > This JACK program is a port of the free VST plugin AZR-3. It is a
> > > tonewheel organ with drawbars, distortion and rotating speakers. The
> > > original was written by Rumpelrausch Täips.
> > >
> > > The organ has three sections, two polyphonic with 9 drawbars each and
> > > one monophonic bass section with 5 drawbars. The two polyphonic
> > > sections respond to events on MIDI channel 1 and 2, and an optional
> > > keyboard split function makes the bass section listen to the lower keys
> > > on channel 1.
> > >
> > > The three sections have separate sustain and percussion switches as
> > > well as separate volume controls, and the two polyphonic sections have
> > > separate vibrato settings. All three sections are mixed and sent
> > > through the distortion effect and the rotating speakers simulator,
> > > where the modulation wheel can be used to switch between fast and slow
> > > rotation, and the fast and slow rotation speeds themselves can be
> > > changed separately for the lower and upper frequencies.
> > >
> > > Get it at http://ll-plugins.nongnu.org/azr3/
> > >

> > > --ll
> >
> > I'm always game for a new music app, so I've tried this on Debian Etch. I
> > did have more complaints, but since installing liblash-devel I've got rid
> > of most of them, but am left with the make error below.
> >
> > Linux debian 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 21:24:20 UTC 2007 i686
> >
> > The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
> > the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
> > individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
> >
> > Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> > permitted by applicable law.
> > Last login: Wed Dec 26 15:44:25 2007
> > djmons@email-addr-hidden:~$ cd Downloads/Azr3-organ/azr3-jack-1.0.1
> > djmons@email-addr-hidden:~/Downloads/Azr3-organ/azr3-jack-1.0.1$ ./configure
> >
> > Current configuration:
> >
> > __path_to_configure = ./configure
> >
> > Now run 'make install' to install your software!
> > djmons@email-addr-hidden:~/Downloads/Azr3-organ/azr3-jack-1.0.1$ su
> > Password:
> > debian:/home/djmons/Downloads/Azr3-organ/azr3-jack-1.0.1# make install
> > echo
> >
> > echo
> >
> > g++ -c -o azr3/main.o -g -O2 `pkg-config --cflags gtkmm-2.4 jack
> > lash-1.0` -DDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/azr3-jack\" azr3/main.cpp
> > azr3/main.cpp: In constructor 'Main::Main(int&, char**&)':
> > azr3/main.cpp:63: error: 'JACK_DEFAULT_MIDI_TYPE' was not declared in
> > this scope
> > make: *** [azr3/main.o] Error 1
> > debian:/home/djmons/Downloads/Azr3-organ/azr3-jack-1.0.1#
> >
> > Any suggestion to resolve the problem?
>
> Wild stab in the dark: you have an old version of jackd that doesn't
> support JACK MIDI, or doesn't support the particular version of the JACK
> MIDI API that AZR3 requires?
>
> -ken
Well OK. I just installed it on Fedora 8, and apart from having to install a
few deps it has installed ok.

Now I find that qjackctl's midi connect shows AZR3 to alsa_pcm on the audio
tab, the midi tab shows nothing where my usb midi keyboard was on the output
ports, but AZR3 on the input ports. Going to the Alsa tab, my usb midi
keyboard is there, but no connection available to Azr3 on the input ports.

Just what the hell is going on here? I used to have an "Audio" tab, and a
"Midi" tab, and it worked ok. Now for some reason or other some idiot has
decided to add an Alsa tab, and everything is totally screwed up. I've got my
keyboard on the Alsa tab, and AZR-3 on the midi tab, and no way it seems of
connecting the keyboard to AZR3. Doh, Doh,Doh.

This is in no way having a go at you Ken. I have a GUI for AZR3 on my screen,
but no way of playing it, because I can't connect my keyboard.

I'm not giving up on this, but would like to know how to play this synth.

Nigel.