Re: [LAU] building audio computer

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 18:46:56 EET

> > I have to build an audio computer running PD for an installation. Since
> > I am not too familiar with actual hardware issues, I would like to ask,
> > if there are any restrictions or aspects to kepp in mind concerning
> > certain processor types, motherboards, graphic cards, HDs (SATA) ...

We built 8 machines in DISIS this past year as part of the sustainable
computing project which are as silent as they can possibly get (currently
loudest noise emanating are HDs spinning idly as we have not put any
insulation around the HDs):

Core 2 Duo 2.67 with Scythe Ninja sink
Nvidia 7600 or 8600GT 512MB RAM (fanless)
2GB RAM
Silentmaxx fanless 400W PSU
Thermaltake Case
ASUS P5B Deluxe

Basically, there is only one single 120mm fan in the machine attached to the
CPU cooler running at <1200 RPM (we tested it also at 800 RPM without any
stability issues).

Machines run Ubuntu Studio.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology, CCTAD, CHCI, CS and Art (by courtesy)
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Virginia Tech
Dept. of Music - 0240
Blacksburg, VA 24061
(540) 231-6139