Re: [LAU] Mac Book Pro or not

From: fruity <fruity@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 31 2007 - 13:25:27 EET

fruity@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> julien lociuro wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First of all, thanks for your answers concerning the firebox audio card.
>> I'm planning to buy a laptop for audio work. I do not care about
>> graphics, etc..only audio.
>> Is it worthy to buy a Mac Book pro? Has anyone ever worked with this
>> machine?
>> I see that a linux can be installed on it. Is this recommended? Has
>> anyone worked with the Mac OSX?
>> Can we directly install linux apps on it as it is unix-bases os? (with
>> some additional libs?)
>>
>> Also, my concern is that it really costs a lot..in europe, 1800€ for
>> the basic model (15" monitor).
>> With that money, isn't it better to buy another great laptop?
>>
>> Also, is there any problem with laptops and linux? How can I be sure
>> linux could installed on it..(graphic card, processor, firewire..)
>>
>> Advices welcome!!
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> --
>> julien
>>
> Hi to everyone ( and happy begining of 2008 :) ),
>
> I suggest you to go for a dual core machine, I ignore if the powerbook
> has dual|quad core cpu, or to go for a amd64 dual core ( with 32bit
> system, I have one with 64bit debian stable eventually tweaked, I do
> live webradio with it ).
> Don't forget to have a sata hardrive, ide are too slow and you will get
> grey hairs to understand why jack, for example, give xruns when you
> extend or move windows or if you are coping|browsing files locally.
> I don't know wich model or trademarks to suggest you:(other than ibm
> thinkpad), but if you find some, paste them in this thread and I will
> tell you if the specifics sounds good ( traking chipset bugs on google )
>
> Ciao
> (and sorry for my bad english)
>
> q^c^p

Sorry thunderbird replied privately and not the the list,
Read the answer above ( sorry julien ) :) , dual cores and sata drives
are the thing you should go for, and minimum 1 giga's of ram ( I would
point a thinkpad ).

http://www.pc.ibm.com/uk/notebook/3000.html

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/Products?openagent&brand=Thinkpad&series=ThinkPad+T+Series

Googling a bit there are some issue on performance while the wireless
card is in use(it get overheated) so you should do a little research
about it ( most of them have the intel 3945 and if you really need it I
would opt for a pcmcia (there are issues with different chipsets for
wireless against low latency kernels).

Again, happy starting of 2008

  | | |_
 /\ /\ /