Re: [LAU] [jack] not running (permissions)[solved]

From: Jeremy Henty <onepoint@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 06 2008 - 02:15:21 EET

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:46:13AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> JACK more or less requires exclusive access to the audio interface
> hardware. If you want to run an application that does not interface
> with JACK (and these days, most music-creation related applications
> do), you do have to stop JACK.

That's not entirely true. If you install alsa-plugins you can
configure alsa to default to the jack plugin. See the instructions at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_%28plugin%29 . This lets me
run prboom through JACK even though prboom is not JACK-aware: the
ALSA configuration silently reroutes prboom through JACK.

This isn't a surefire solution: it depends on your application
respecting the ALSA default. If the app *insists* on talking straight
to the hardware then you're stuck. Also some apps like mpg123
complain about samplerate issues that I haven't fixed. I'm assuming
that they *are* fixable, I just haven't got round to doing it.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty