Re: [LAU] Resonance (i.e., bassist jokes)

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 06 2008 - 20:49:56 EET

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:42:53PM -1000, david wrote:
> Sean Corbett wrote:
> > Drummers.
> >

> > I have to come out of lurking since there are demeaning musician jokes
> > flying around....

I cannot resist joining the fracas.

A missionary visited a remote aboriginal village. The villagers maintained a constant drumming all day and all night. It got on his nerves. After a week, he started asking if they could please stop. "Oh no. Drums no stop. If drums stop, BAD thing happen". So the missionary got on with his work. Days went past, and he was starting to lose his mind. "Why, why, what is so awful that you can't stop the drumming? It can't be worse than having to live like this!" The reply came again, "No no! Drums no stop! Drums stop... bad, bad, bad thing happen!". Nobody would tell the missionary what was this awful consequence, and this soon made him even crazier than the incessant drumming. Finally, after weeks of this, the missionary was coming undone. He went to see the village elder, begging, "Please, please, tell me, what is the awful, terrifying thing that happens if the drumming were to stop?!" The chief regarded him for a while, then took pity on him and decided to share the awful secr
 et, "When drums stop, then... bass solo!"

OK, another one:
A young jazz drummer studied with an Indian Tabla master for some years, who had been living in his city. His tabla master ended up moving back to India. The jazz drummer got older, became quite accomplished, and started to tour. After some years, his touring schedule included a date in India! He wrote his old tabla master, and the master wrote back to say he's be at the gig. The drummer was nervous. This was his old teacher! He wanted to show how well he had done and how skilled he'd become. The master attended the gig, which went well, and afterwards the drummer asked his old master what he thought of the drumming. The old master, grinning kindly, replied, "You played very delightfully!! But you were a little sluggish on the 11 and the 37". (It's funnier with a really good Indian accent).

-ken