Re: [LAU] Decent soundfonts

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 12:00:42 EET

Simon Williams wrote:
> Ketil Thorgersen wrote:
>> Do a search on this list and you'll see that this has been discussed
>> frequently!
>
> I've looked but can only find one other thread on the subject which
> didn't help me.
>
>> For piano the best free one I've found is http://www.pianosounds.com/
>
> That's got the same problem. It just sounds too tinny.
>
> I've got a Yamaha YPP-35 at home. I would have thought it's a pretty
> cheap digital piano- only 5 octaves, 8 voices and partially weighted
> keys (though my parents seem to think it cost over 500 pounds at the
> time, which seems slightly mad, but I could be wrong- it was 10-12 years
> ago). But it sounds really nice- even the strings work well. All the
> sounds are clean and simple- they aren't too muddy in the bass, they
> don't resonate, they don't twang if I hit the keys hard, they aren't too
> tinny on the higher notes, and the volume is balanced across the
> keyboard. Why can't I get this sort of sound out of my laptop?

I've been using and loving the Yamaha audio patches for years. Someone
else on the list mentioned that a lot of the Yamaha audio sound is due
to the licensing of some very sophisticated wave guide audio patents
from MIT or some college like that. I suppose you could read the patents
and figure it out, but ...

> I guess maybe I'm not really looking for soundfonts. I don't really want
> samples of real acoustic instruments because recording them is
> impossibly difficult and leads to too much background noise. What I need
> is to know how to make these sounds up on a synth. I don't mind it
> sounding a bit electronic- actually I think I'd prefer it to some
> extent. Then all I need to do is find a synth which handles the response
> curve sanely and allows me to actually balance the thing across the
> keyboard, instead of being too quiet in the bass and getting louder as I
> work up.

Hmm, that almost sounds like an artifact of listening to audio through
laptop speakers. They all make the bass sound too quiet, at least to me.

> Maybe I'll end up writing my own. But at the moment I haven't
> got the slightest clue how to get the sound I want out of a synth.

Yamaha uses samples of real acoustic instruments, plus their wave guide
software. I think most synthesizers these days essentially do the same
thing. Didn't someone on the list mention an article about how it's
impossible to synthesize a true piano sound?

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden