Re: [LAU] ArdourVST - Latency Management

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 22:41:03 EET

Am Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2008 schrieb Paul Davis:
> ardour doesn't do latency compensation for busses. maybe it should.
> there is an implementation between:
> 1) compensate by delaying playback onset of disk material
> 2) compensate by using delay buffers
> they each have their own plusses and minuses. right now, ardour uses
> (1), and since busses have no disk material, they cannot be compensated.

If busses had latency-compensation a lot of work would be needed: Adding
effects like reverb and delay is usually (at least in my workflow) done by
adding a bus with that effect and adding sends to all the channels. That adds
parallel signal flows with just some simple mouse-clicks and calls for _lot_
of intelligence from the latency-compensation...

And what do you do if a bus gets only signals from outside?

I think the current way is right because its easy.

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---