[LAU] Need to determine bit depth from command line

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 13 2008 - 18:22:07 EET

Is there any command-line way to tell what the bit depth of a sound
file is? Sox's '-e stat' doesn't say that. /usr/bin/file only gives
the sample rate. Audacity, not command-line, tells me that my file
in question is "Mono, 44100 Hz, 32-bit float". I'd rather not have
to use Audacity on all my files to figure out which ones are 16-bit
and which ones are 32-bit. I suppose I could use sox to find out how
many samples, file to find out the sample rate, /bin/ls to determine
the size, and then calculate the bit depth.

Anyone?

Thanks....

--
Kevin