Re: [LAU] A pc without noise!

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 02:21:17 EET

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:46:30PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> James Stone wrote:
> > You can get bits and bobs from here:
> >
> > http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/home?gclid=CMPdqu3c9pACFSFYEgodBT5t2A
> >
> > The main culprits in my system were the CPU fan, the GFX card
> > fan, and the old HDD. I replaced the CPU fan, got a passive
> > cooling solution for the graphics card, and bought some new hard
> > drives.. It is still not completely silent tho and has more
> > problems with overheating..
> >
> > Certainly not that simple!
> You should also consider a quiet case. Antec sells B-stock, you might
> find a good buy there (www.antec.com). Some of their cases have a nifty
> system for reducing drive noise.
>
> I'm finally replacing my remaining "with-fan" video card. It's a nice
> enough card, but I'll be happy to see it go, it's just too noisy.
>
> I've had no trouble with overheating with my fanless card, a GeForce
> 7600GS. Your luck may vary.

It is actually the CPU that overheats on mine, not the GPU, but
it is usually due to accumulation of dust, so a few (careful)
moments with a hoover usually fixes the problem!! I have a zaman
"flower" on the CPU and it does have some nice thin spaces
perfect for dust to get stuck!

Incidentally I am looking at a 7600GS for my next card. Any good?
Anyone know how they compare to 6200?

James