[LAU] Marrying MIDI with Music

From: Charles Linart <clinart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 05:37:44 EET

Hello everybody. Have been experimenting lately. Reared on dear old
Dad's Radio Shack cassette recorder and vanilla four-track analog
recording, I've always been pretty much a straight-shootin' audio guy.
 Linux audio has opened up new worlds to me. Nowadays, I'm getting
into MIDI, and while I still think it stinks as a general rule (takes
the humanity out of music IMHO), I can see its utility.

So I've been working on getting audio and MIDI channels to play nicely
together through JACK, and I finally got it down (at least the
basics). The long-term vision is to have a band jam live in pure
audio as a MIDI engineer sets down a fresh electronic groove,
something like what the Talking Heads did live but with a 21st Century
twist.

My first effort was just a technical experiment to get everything
plugged in. It's no great composition, but it brought the vision a
little closer to reality. The mix was a quickie, as was the "song"
itself -- took longer to plug everything into JACK than it did to
actually record and mix. This won't sound like much to many of you
pros and old hands, but it represents a major breakthrough for me.

Since lam.fugal.net is down for the count, here it is. Feedback would
be appreciated, but please be gentle in your criticism as I am a
novice and a sensitive type.

http://charliehiphop.com/audio/download/226/newexperiment.ogg

If you want more details on how it was done, check this

http://charliehiphop.com/new_experiment_ogg_download

Enjoy, and thanks!