[LAU] What Price Interoperability (OpenDAW, revisited)

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 18:42:02 EET

A product release at the current Winter NAMM is Solid State Logic's
Pro-Convert. Transport your DAW projects to and from most everything
proprietary except (gulp) Sonar/Cakewalk. $700 smackeroos and you have it.

Looking at their supported formats was informative:
Steinberg has an XML format for Nuendo 3.x and Cubase SX3 and later
Apple has XML for Final Cut Pro 4, 5.x, Logic 8, Soundtrack Pro 2.
Vegas as text and XML formats.
Samplitude has a text format.

Besides no Cakewalk, NONE of the opensource DAWs and audio editors are
supported. AAF and AAF/XML are definitively ignored.

I need the $700 to pay my rent. We all need everyone to get together, merge
all those XMLs and make things easier for everyone. There may even be some
studios and individuals out there that would play a REASONABLE price for such
software and not bother to compile and futz with it!