Re: [LAU] Renoise - linux version ( soon !!)

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 18:46:04 EET

On Monday 21 January 2008 03:20, Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
> | There is no limit to the number of computers you use your
> | personalized version of Renoise on. However, by 'use' we do not
> | mean distributing your copy via warez sites and p2p networks. :P
> | The license allows you to run your personalized version of
> | Renoise on any platform, on any computer. But you must be the
> | only user.

That's really pretty reasonable, for proprietary software at least.
Reminds me of the old Borland "treat it like a book" license on their
compilers in the 80's.

I don't know if Renoise is going to be my cup of tea, but at least I
might try the demo now. It seems a little less half-assed than most
other commercialized Linux ports. I've bought quite a few Linux
games over the last decade, but it's kinda nice to see some
proprietary software that's actually useful, and audio software at
that.

Of course, if they started using some kind of network-based copy
protection scheme in the future, I'd totally have to crack it. I
bought a DVD ripper for Windows for a non-Internet-using relative,
primarily on its lack of copy protection, and then in some update
they added a key that you had to get on the Internet to activate or
your installation was dead in the water. So until I found a
replacement a few months later, it was easier to download a crack
than install a modem or something on his computer just to activate a
program meant to circumvent someone else's copy protection.

Hopefully the Renoise guys are smarter than that.

Rob