Re: [LAU] xruns with m-audio fast track pro on fedora 8 ccrma

From: Florent Berthaut <hitmuri@email-addr-hidden-log.org>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 20:36:45 EET

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano a écrit :
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 13:29 +0100, hitmuri@email-addr-hidden-log.org wrote:
>
>> Thanks for answering (maybe i could have asked on the linuxmao.org forum
>> too ;) ) .
>>
>> I tried to change the rtirq script but it doesn't seem to make any
>> difference. But while looking at the rt priorities, i noticed that the
>> highest priority for usb was given to the irq 16 and cat /proc/interrupts
>> tells me that on irq 16 there's uhci_hcd:usb3 and NVIDIA !!!
>> When i plug my usb soundcard , it's always on irq 20.
>> So it looks like the highest priority is given to the graphics card .
>>

> Because it shares the interrupt with the usb controller which may have
> an audio card attached...
>
> What do you see in "cat /proc/interrupts" for other interrupts? Do you
> perhaps have another usb controller that does not share an interrupt
> with the graphics controller?

cat /proc/interrupts gives me this :
           CPU0 CPU1
  0: 89731 89923 IO-APIC-edge timer
  1: 151 113 IO-APIC-edge i8042
  8: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
  9: 12 11 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
 12: 42277 41891 IO-APIC-edge i8042
 14: 7056 7085 IO-APIC-edge libata
 15: 1376 2002 IO-APIC-edge libata
 16: 11532 11641 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3, nvidia
 18: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi yenta
 19: 18782 18903 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb7
 20: 8615 8284 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb5
 21: 1 2 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4, ohci1394
 22: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb6
 23: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi sdhci:slot0
220: 18041 18081 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
NMI: 0 0
LOC: 92078 94169
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

Actually the usb controller on which my soundcard is (IRQ 20) isn"t
shared with the graphics controller.
So i tried to set the priorities of the other irq so that the usb
controller with my soundcard gets the highest priority

I get this with /etc/init.d/rtirq status :
 1047 FF 95 - 135 0.0 S< IRQ-8 rtc0
  417 FF 88 - 128 0.6 S< IRQ-20 ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb5
  425 FF 87 - 127 0.0 S< IRQ-21 uhci_hcd:usb4, ohci1394
  426 FF 86 - 126 0.0 S< IRQ-22 uhci_hcd:usb6
    5 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-high/0
    6 FF 50 - 90 0.1 S< softirq-timer/0
    7 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-net-tx/
    8 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-net-rx/
    9 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-block/0
   10 FF 50 - 90 0.3 S< softirq-tasklet
   11 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-sched/0
   12 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-hrtimer
   13 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-rcu/0
   18 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-high/1
   19 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-timer/1
   20 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-net-tx/
   21 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-net-rx/
   22 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-block/1
   23 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-tasklet
   24 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-sched/1
   25 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-hrtimer
   26 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< softirq-rcu/1
   78 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< IRQ-9 acpi
  388 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< IRQ-18 yenta
  394 FF 50 - 90 0.1 S< IRQ-12 i8042
  395 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< IRQ-1 i8042
  454 FF 50 - 90 0.1 S< IRQ-14 libata
  455 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< IRQ-15 libata
 1032 FF 50 - 90 0.3 S< IRQ-220 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
 1093 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S< IRQ-23 sdhci:slot0
  416 FF 35 - 75 0.1 S< IRQ-19 ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb7
  424 FF 35 - 75 0.3 S< IRQ-16 uhci_hcd:usb3, nvidia

But it doesn't make any changes, still xruns.

Don't know what to do now, but at least i think i've understood new
things on that sound latency and irq priorities stuff ;) .

Flo