Re: [LAU] Convoluted Leslie?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 15:14:13 EET

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 01:46:00PM +0100, hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:11:52 -0800
> Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a Leslie and willing to make a convolution impulse of it
> > (say, using Fons' program for generating impulses)?
> >
> > I love the sound of AZR3, and the Leslie is quite good, the only
> > thing it is missing is the sound of the WOOD, of the actual Leslie
> > cabinet itself. I'm curious what it'd sound like through a clean
> > convolution of just the cabinet, possibly not even using the Leslie
> > tube amp, just a clean transistor amp into the Leslie speakers.
> >
> > Of course the tonewheel shape 2 or 3 setting isn't QUITE a tonewheel,
> > but it's very close. If I could get the Leslie wood cabinet resonance
> > in there I think it'd kick even more ass than it already does.
> >
> > -ken
>
> Hi Ken,
> I don't own a Leslie but I know where to find quite some of them. I
> might do some sampling there and could probably do that as well.
> Problem is that I don't know how to do that, I'd need a lot more
> information.

I guess that the FR of the cabinet will not be constant but
depend on the 'phase' of the Leslie effect, i.e. the position
of the rotor. In other words, it's not only a delay modulation
but also a 'filtering' modulation.

One way to get a 'near to perfect' Leslie sound and effect
at the same time would be to measure the IR at say 30 positions
of the rotor, then use 30 convolutions and both shift and xfade
them in the correct sequence and frequency. Probably not easy
but it can be done.

If the Leslie effect is already done in softwared, you'd need some
'average' IR of the cabinet to add 'the wood'.

Just drop me a line if you need help in using Aliki to capture
the IR(s).

--
FA
Parma, Italia