Re: [LAU] [OT] creative commons non-commercial licensed music - ask for advice

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 17:10:59 EET

On Saturday 26 January 2008 08:33:58 Martin Ahnelöv wrote:
> > I received an email from a film producer (based in Los Angeles,
> > probably
> > an indie studio) in which he wrote that the director of a movie
> > they're
> > just finishing (they're at post-production stage) is interested in
> > using
> > two tracks of mine, 'Balloon' (http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/media)
> > and
> > 'As we grow older' (http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/media/the-moon-ep).
> >
> > I released these tracks under a non-commercial Creative Commons
> > license:
> >
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed-music.
> >
> > In the past some of my music has been used for some short films, but
> > these were clearly non commercial projects or film schools thesis.
> >
> > Has anybody some experience on this topic? What should I do? Should I
> > re-license these tracks? Can I just make them a written permission?
> > Or
> > should I ask for some kind of royalty (or would it be ridiculous,
> > also
> > considering that AFAIK Gyorgy Ligeti has never been paid for its
> > music
> > on '2001 A space odyssey' :-) )?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > - c.
>
> CC got a pretty good video on this situation here:
> <http://support.creativecommons.org/videos#ccp> (I think it's that one).
>
> You (the author) may give people permission to break the CC-NC license.

Sure, effectively, you give them an alternate license so they are not in fact
breaking the NC license, they are using another license which you gave them.

However, if your work includes someone else's NC licensed work, you cannot do
this without getting the other person involved as well.

The same would hold for a BY-SA license that someone did not want to abide by
and sought another license on the underlying work.

> peace,
> Gasten

all the best,

drew