Re: [LAU] Convoluted Leslie?

From: philicorda <philicorda@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 18:27:47 EET

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 22:23 -0700, thomas fisher wrote:
> On Friday 25 January 2008 19:08:11 Ken Restivo wrote:
<snip>
> > I'm very happy with the Leslie sim in AZR3. Only thing that sounds missing
> > to me is the resonance of the wood cabinet.
> >
> > -ken
> From what I have heard from instrument makers is that there is much more
> than just "wood" involved. For example fine straight grain spruce is very
> much sought for. However there is a whole list of grades of spruce. Also
> certain species of white pine, old growth redwood. About eight years ago in
> northern California I met this fellow that had been a part of a very small
> specialty company that cut blanks for instrument tops from salvaged old
> growth redwood. He had about four or five grades, of which he demonstrated to
> me by holding the blank a certain way and thumped it. Some of the highest
> grades rang like Tibetan bell! And I would imagine the list gets much longer
> when one considers the woods of the world. One retired concert violinist I
> knew, would take his instruments apart and would shave whispers off here and
> there. I am a wood worker but I am no authority on this subject and am just
> sharing the very little that I do know.

On a leslie cabinet there are wooden slats that go across the openings
on the sides. These resonate a bit with the percussion and could be
audible. If you pluck them with a fingernail they have quite distinct
notes. I don't know what wood the cabinet is made of, but I doubt it's
anything exotic.

Anyway, Ken, I have a leslie here and a mic. It's an old one so I can't
patch external audio into unfortunately. I wonder if there is another
way to get an IR. Perhaps hitting it with a stick or something. :)