Re: [LAU] Music video made with linux for music made with linux

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 19:05:49 EET

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:47:49PM +0100, Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
>> My 7-year-old daughter was transfixed by a stop-action video remix of
>> a Familjen song, and wanted to do something like that. So I sat her
>> down with a digital camera and told her to have at it:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4huY3paWec
>>
>> Video made with linux (qiv, ImageMagick, mencoder, avimerge), to go
>> with music made with linux (seq24, specimen, fluidsynth, hydrogen,
>> etc).
>
> Hey, that's some really funky music you got there, and the video ain't bad
> either! Reminds me of something like Bob James, or Herbie Hancock. Are some
> of the instruments live, or just software? Sounds like a band on my laptop
> speakers/youtube quality.
>
> Keep on coming with the funkyness, the video also matched the tune pretty
> well!

Thanks! She made the video, and then she picked that tune from my "catalog" to go with it.

I am very proud of her! She saw the Familjen video, and said "I want to do that". After briefly explaining how it was done, I sat her down with a digital camera and a pad, and off she went. Then I just ran the directory of JPEGs through mencoder to make a movie and then avimerge to add the music track. A fun project for kids (and grownups!) who like to draw.

-ken