Re: [LAU] Eee As Synth Engine?

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 11:04:36 EET

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:17:12AM -0700, holotone@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> I've been tinkering recently with my Eee running Xubuntu and a newly
> acquired M-Audio Axiom 49 USB Midi Keyboard; I think it'd be just about as
> great as it could get if I could use the Eee as a synth engine via
> XynAddSubFX or similar - Unfortunately, I've been unable to tweak my JACK
> settings to the point that all stutters and chops have been eliminated. I
> understand that the Eee specs are quite low (900mhz proc, 512MB RAM), but
> watching my resource usage while I'm playing shows the processor at less
> than 50% and RAM holding steady at 60% or so - This would lead me to believe
> that my problem is configuration related.
>
> Any other Eee users out there had any luck getting JACK fine tuned to the
> Eee? Since we're all working on nearly identical hardware, perhaps we could
> swap configs?

I just found this video - an eee running supercollider and jack!
http://www.mcld.co.uk/blog/blog.php?171

Also I found this benchmark:
http://novosche.blogspot.com/2007/12/eee-pc-benchmark-test-asus-eee-pc-4g.html

It's notated kind of inscrutably but I think it can be translated
thusly. Each cell shows average percentage of CPU to run the given
number of supercollider ugens / synth voices on the given platform.
So lower is better.

           128 ugens/ | 256 ugens/ | 384 ugens/ | 448 ugens/
            32 synths | 64 synths | 96 synths | 112 synths
HARDWARE | | |
----------------------+------------+-------------+--------------
powerbook 22.2% | 43.5% | 64% | 81%
G3 333Mhz | | |
----------------------+------------+-------------+--------------
powerbook 8% | 15% | 20% | 23%
G4 1.67GHz | | |
----------------------+------------+-------------+--------------
EEE PC | | |
4G model 8% | 14% | 19.6% | 22.2%
----------------------+------------+-------------+--------------
macbook | | |
pro intel 3.2% | 6.1% | 9% | 10.5%
1.84 GHz | | |
----------------------+------------+-------------+--------------

What this appears to show is that the EEE is roughly equivalent to a
powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, for this particular benchmark. And almost half
the speed of an intel macbook pro 1.84. That's not bad considering
the G4 *still* costs more on ebay than the EEE does new.

There's also a test of the number of synth voices at which the EEE and
the macbook pro each reach 66% CPU. If I read it right, the MBP can
do 800 voices (3200 ugens). The EEE can do 356 (1424 ugens).

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com