Re: [LAU] Great article on the music business

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 20:03:47 EET

On Sunday 10 February 2008 12:05:08 David Baron wrote:
> > 3. All of this still seems to rest on the supposition that full copyright
> > / all rights reserved plans will be the only game in town. I am
> > personally interested in the Free and Copyleft music models for income
> > producing for artists.
>
> This is a great article.
>
> I would like to find out more about these models. Copyright registration,
> administration and getting income from ASCAP and such may cost more than it
> is worth in many forums. A mega-hit (big label, big name, big budget, lewd
> pictures, etc.) may profit in this schema. The rest of us?
>
> Want to be really idealistic and honest? Music is a gift from G-d. His is
> the true copyright. So for those who do believe and stand on that belief,
> alternative models may just be in order. Tell me more.

Well, I am in an experimenting phase myself. I write lyrics. (other things
too.) I tend to put them under a CC BY-SA license.

I have some spoken word stuff up on the internet archive. Strangers have found
them and done stuff with them. For instance:

http://www.archive.org/details/PeepinYou

I like what Peter did with that. It got a spin on a college radio station in
Maryland yesterday. Made me very happy. I am going to try and get it in some
local clubs too.

I have started writing for two bands in a semi official way recently. One
local and one net based. We shall see how that goes.

I feel like I might be at somewhat of a disadvantage for some of the easier
models as I do not really perform.

If you are a musician and play gigs, you can get paid for playing ARR music
and for playing Free Music. Pay for play. One model.

Whoever you are, you can burn Free Music on CDs and try to sell them in your
town. Another model.

If you are in a band, you can cover Free Music and sell the CDs at your gigs.
Another model.

Any other ideas anyone? (Before I run on too much here.)

all the best,

drew