Re: [LAU] [solved, kind of] jack and flash

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 21:21:28 EET

naysayer:

> Has anyone worked out a neat way to get firefox (flash, youtube,
> real audio, etc) working with Jack yet. i would love to have a
> situation where i could have Jack running permanently but this is
> the one thing preventing me.

This has bugged me for some time now too. Your question triggered a
little quest and I've just proof-recorded some youtube snippet with
ardour. Done via pulseaudio. Here's the list:

* pulseaudio has jack modules. You get sink and source.

* For flash audio you will need a special library for flashplayer that
will hook into pulseaudio. Details on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FlashPlayer9Solution

* For other video and audio from firefox mplayerplug-in seems to do
it. Although its docs don't say so it plays the audio from, for
example, http://streams.br-online.de/bayern2.smil (Bavarian radio,
Zuendfunk on right now. They say that would be a RealPlayer stream,
but is it really?)

-----------
This is a basic pulseaudio configuration for use with jack, put it in
~/jackd.pa:

###
load-module module-jack-sink channels=2 channel_map=left,right
load-module module-jack-source channels=2 channel_map=left,right
###
Maybe tweak /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and be sure to appreciate that "#"
and ";" both mean "comment" with pulseaudio, sheesh!
Run your jackd
Run "pulseaudio -n -F ~/jackd.pa". (-n tells pulseaudio to not
use /etc/pulse/default.pa)
Run "pavucontrol" to see audio streams and in/outputs ("Adobe Flash"
stream will show up when you open one in firefox).

About it.
Wolfgang