Re: [LAU] rme fireface 400 on debian?

From: Svend-Erik Madsen <sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 09:11:31 EET

Arnold Krille skrev:
> Am Sonntag, 10. Februar 2008 schrieb Malte Steiner:
>
>> In general, when I remember the freebob lecture on last years LAC
>> correctly, Firewire is not capable to be driven with a really small
>> latency.
>>

> If you don't consider 5ms to be small, then you are right.
>
> I have successfully used my firewire-device and laptop as digital live mixing
> console here. Firewire (with freebob/ffado) is definitely capable of low
> latency!
>
> Arnold

Hey

What's all the fuzz about latency ?

I use an RME Multiface and my setup has round 5ms latency also, and I
can play my guitar together with all other instruments on the computer
without any bad time feeling at all, and it's really only a problem when
you use one or more outputs for monitoring, and your latency exceeds
10ms. But if I use my amp for monitoring during recording, my experience
is that latency is no issue at all.

/Sv-e