[LAU] Multiple M-Audio Delta 1010s

From: Terry Hull <tah@email-addr-hidden-inc.com>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 10:12:37 EET

I was wondering what the current status is of using multiple Delta 1010s
with jackd. I have seen several references to an .asoundrc for this
kind of a setup, but I have not seen anyone say how this is working for
them. I currently have a single 1010 installed in a 3 GHz P4. While
running at 5 msec latency it is running at about 6% CPU utilization with
jack and Ardour2 running. How much does a second card add to the CPU
load? Also, can xruns be avoided under these circumstances?

I'm planning on using the machine for auxiliary processing during live
performance. I know that RME cards would be the best option, but I
really can't afford the card and the A/Ds.

BTW: I had a significant amount of problems eliminating xruns on the
machine. I started by moving from KDE to IceWM, but that did not
improve things. After that I went from a normal kernel to the 2.6.22
real time kernel in the Gentoo pro audio overlay. That also did not
seem to help very much. Even at 100 msec, I was still getting lots of
xruns. I then turned off hyperthreading and added rtirq. These changes
helped, but I could still generate xruns by just typing in a terminal
window or moving the mouse. The thing that actually solved the problem
was changing from the ATI Mach 64 on the motherboard to a NVIDIA 5200.
That seemed to be the magic. I can now run Ardour with no xruns at 5
msec latency.

--
Terry Hull - President
Network Resource Group, Inc.