Re: [LAU] [ANN] Qtractor 0.1.1 (futile duchess) released!

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 15:49:57 EET

On 16/02/2008, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> James Stone wrote:
> > Regarding the vst compiling, could you not use the free and open
> > source headers from Javier Serrano Polo used by dssi-vst and
> > lmms?
>
> this has been already asked and answered elsewhere... here:
> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/66#comment-1649
>
> bottom line seems to be that the vst-sdk support that are now being
> required for qtractor is for _native_ linux vst plug-ins and not for
> win32 dlls linked trough wine as is what dssi-vst does

I see the "asked" part on that page, but I don't entirely see the "answered".

If your only requirement is to be able to include aeffect.h and
aeffectx.h, you should just be able to drop in the "vestige" headers
from LMMS or dssi-vst. Doesn't matter whether it's intended to
support Win32 or native Linux plugins. You won't get support for
everything in VST, but a redistributable binary that supports much of
it has got to be worthwhile, surely.

The author claimed in LMMS list postings that these headers were
reverse engineered from working VST host and plugin code without
seeing the original SDK or accepting the Steinberg SDK license.
Obviously I cannot know whether that is really the case, but judging
from the code, I think it is plausible. Until anyone produces any
evidence otherwise, I for one would be happy to give it the benefit of
the doubt.

Chris