Re: [LAU] [ANN] Qtractor 0.1.1 (futile duchess) released!

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 17:04:21 EET

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> hi Chris,
>
> On Mon, February 18, 2008 13:49, Chris Cannam wrote:

>>> this has been already asked and answered elsewhere... here:
>>> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/66#comment-1649
>>>

>>> bottom line seems to be that the vst-sdk support that are now being
>>> required for qtractor is for _native_ linux vst plug-ins and not for
>>> win32 dlls linked trough wine as is what dssi-vst does
>>>
>> I see the "asked" part on that page, but I don't entirely see the
>> "answered".
>>

>> If your only requirement is to be able to include aeffect.h and
>> aeffectx.h, you should just be able to drop in the "vestige" headers from
>> LMMS or dssi-vst. Doesn't matter whether it's intended to
>> support Win32 or native Linux plugins. You won't get support for
>> everything in VST, but a redistributable binary that supports much of it
>> has got to be worthwhile, surely.
>>
>> The author claimed in LMMS list postings that these headers were
>> reverse engineered from working VST host and plugin code without seeing the
>> original SDK or accepting the Steinberg SDK license. Obviously I cannot
>> know whether that is really the case, but judging from the code, I think
>> it is plausible. Until anyone produces any evidence otherwise, I for one
>> would be happy to give it the benefit of the doubt.
>>

> simple as it could ever be: it does not build with the vestige headers
> alone. there are somethings missing. i know that it would suffice to
> copy-and-paste those things from the original steinberg headers, but...
> you know, i just can't, nor have the skill, to do that with my eyes shut
> ;)
>
> eheh

We all know that you already took a look at the original VST SDK headers
- at least once, didn't you? You're banned for life to write your own
reverse engineered version.

Your only option is to write a small app to memset to zeros that part of
your memory. Backup your brain first. Also, be sure your application
doesn't reset the part of your brain in which you stored the location of
your backup.

Good luck.

-c.

--