Re: [LAU] [OT] Another problem with creative commons licenses

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 17:15:04 EET

drew Roberts wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 09:50:03 Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>
>> Here's the story: I published some tracks of mine at opsound.org. At the
>> time I submitted these tracks, the license was by-nc-sa, which is the
>> same license I've always used for all the other websites where I've put
>> my stuff.
>>
>> Now they've changed the license and removed the non-commercial clause.
>> As a result of this, may more websites (which crawl the content from
>> opsound) host my tracks with the by-sa license.
>>
>> Could they do this?
>>

> No, they can't, unless perhaps theri TOS allows for it. I kind of doubt it.
>
> I run into the opposite problem all the time in places.
>
> I use BY-SA for my works. I often find the licenses reset to traditional
> copyright ARR notices.
>
> I think this happens by mistake, but it is a big problem. So far, the works
> have been pretty much all mine. But what happens if someone comes along and
> finds a work of mine built on their BY-SA work and claiming ARR?
>
> I then have to go back and re-do the licenses again.
>

>> What can I do now?
>>

> Can you go and reset the licenses at this point? On opsound?

I can't. Meanwhile I have deleted my page there.
> As for the other sites, contact them and tell them of the problem?

I'll try to do this but I'm not sure if it will work.

There are many sites that crawled my tracks. Some of them send ringtones
of them, too. Of course most of these are illegal. I don't have the
money/time/patience to go after them.

But I trusted Opsound.
> Rsign yourself to letting those songs become dual licensed BY-SA your
> preferred license and try to avoid the problem you have in the future?
>
>> -c.
>>
> all the best,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best,