Re: [LAU] tool to seperate elements of a song

From: Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 23 2008 - 01:48:38 EET

On 21/02/2008, Sebastian Tschöpel <tschoseb@tu-cottbus.de> wrote:

> hi.
>
> thats simply not possible, since the frequencies of these parts are
> overlapping. You can try to fade out certain areas, e.g. the bass part
> (kicks, bass) by using an eq or when the voice is only a plain
> monosignal while the rest is stereo you could delete the stereo-center
> to get some kind of a karaoke effect. But a tool that analyses music to
> simply switch off certain instruments does not exist. Also not for
> windows or mac.

While I fully agree with Sebastian, I can't resist asking :
if it is not possible, then how do your ears and your brain do it, then ?

A musician can be trained to mentally separate the parts of an orchestra;
why could not a machine do the same ?

(I'm not implying it would be trivial, though ;-)

Regards.