Re: [LAU] tool to seperate elements of a song

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 23 2008 - 20:37:11 EET

On Saturday 23 February 2008, schoappied wrote:
[...]
> To say if a brain can do it, a machine can do it, is quit a
> degradation of the very complex organ of human that can let us
> experience this amazing world... Maybe you're sitting to much time
> behind your pc... ;)

Anyone here *not* spending too much time with computers and
stuff...? :-D

Anyway, first you say we're underestimating the complexity of the
human brain...

> @Sebastian:
> I'm a guitarplayer and sometimes want to play a song of other
> musicians... Sometimes its hard to hear for example the exact
> guitarpart... Would be great if you can isolate that part and study
> it...

...and then you want machines to do what not even your brain can
handle? ;-)

> But maybe that is asking for a whole different way of recording in a
> whole new filetype with a lot of Gb's....

Well, structured audio, or just multitrack + mixdown metadata would do
the trick, but realistically, that only really works if you author
specifically for that format.

Also, as soon as you want any non-trivial processing in addition to
the mixing, you either have to apply that destructively to the
tracks, or you run into CPU load issues in players, problems finding
effect implementations that you can legally include in your files
etc.

It's definitely doable (the technology is there already) and very
interesting, but I doubt it'll ever replace plain, "opaque" streams
as a general music distribution format.

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |