Re: [LAU] RT error?

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 11:27:46 EET

Quoting Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>:

> I get this a lot with various applications, I've been meaning to ask
> about it. Does it mean that something is wrong with my RT kernel?
> This specific error came from Renoise, but again, I've seen it with
> other applications as well.
>
> cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)

Realtime applications need instant access to their memory. For that to be
possible, the application must "lock" it's memory so that the operating
system does not swap it.

However, locking is "dangerous" in the sense that a program could lock all
available memory and thus take down the whole system. This is why Linux has
a system of setting the maximum amount of locked memory. This is controlled
via /etc/security/limits.conf memlock attribute.

See
http://irc.esben-stien.name/mediawiki/index.php/POSIX_1.e_Realtime_Capability_with_PAM
for a quick reference on how to set it up.

The reason you are getting that message is probably due to a too low memlock
setting.

 Sampo