Re: [LAU] Going from window to linux

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 07:54:45 EET

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Chuckk Hubbard
<badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:43 AM, JiNN <jinnproduction@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I will try the music related linux build OS that was suggested and see where
> > i go from there. I guess my main thing is that i want to spend most of the
> > time working with music and not tinkering with, not sure if this describes
> > it, "programming issues."
>
> You'll have a hard time finding a Linux enthusiast who takes that
> point of view seriously. At least I did. I somehow got sucked in,
> myself, and that comment actually makes me remember wistfully how
> productive I used to be.
> It's true that people using free software make the software better,
> eventually, when the developers care, but it's also true that some
ee> people using non-free software are meeting deadlines and making money.

Disagree. Many, many Linux enthusiasts take your point of view
seriously. The whole point of the Ubuntu distro is solving this
problem. Zillions of man hours have gone into it. Of course it's
still often a problem especially if your needs fall out in the long
tail of the demand curve. But it can be done - witness the progress
of the mainstream Linux desktop. The average user can now do
everything they do on proprietary OSes without ever needing to open a
terminal or edit a config file; this was not the case just a few years
ago.

Just out of curiosity, what specifically are the main issues that make
you less productive than you would be on a non-free OS?

Lee