[LAU] FW: jackd -r | PD -rt

From: W. Ryan Nestor <w_r_nestor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 04:27:04 EET

From: w_r_nestor@email-addr-hidden
To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
Subject: jackd -r | PD -rt
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:45:32 -0500

Hi All,
   I'm new to the list and I have a lot to learn from you all I am sure. I've been pursuing and open-source audio studio for a while now, and I am almost there. I'm running a G3/500mhz 'pismo' powerbook with eho audio's Layla24.

    My question today involves PureData and jack. Some background first. I have had success compiling a custom rt patched kernel 2.6.23.1-rt11, as well as the neewest kernel. I have set up PAM to allow realtime privileges to my user and groups in /etc/security/limits.conf. I've also changed the priority of softirg- stuff to 99 with chrt.

   As far as I know, all this should give a working non-root realtime system. My problem comes when working In my main environment: PD. I am working with the snd-layla24 driver and qjackctl. I've been able to get jack running with -R enabled. However, when I launce pd with the -rt flag, I get horrible A/D/A sync issues resulting in *UNINTENTIONAL* crackles and pops (as opposed to the intentional ones I'll make as soon as this is running). Worst of all, there are no Xruns at all. Before I messed with pam, I was getting very low latency running both jack and PD as root.

   Does anyone have an idea for how to proceed, a idiot-proof configuration that works? Id love to eventually get <10ms at 8ch i/o.