Re: [LAU] Pan settings for mixes

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 00:13:43 EET

Hallo,
Bob van der Poel hat gesagt: // Bob van der Poel wrote:

> But, where to put the other instruments? Drums, bass, strings, etc? Is
> there a 'rule of thumb" to use? Right now I've got everything in the
> center, but would like a fuller sound, but not artificial sounding. Oh,
> and using audacity I notice that the left/right increments are 10%, 20%,
> etc. ... do I need something finer than 10% steps?

My suggestion is Ardour. Beats the crap out of Audacity when it comes to
arranging and mixing multiple tracks together. It has a bit of a
learning curve, but that afternoon is well spent.

Regarding 'rule of thumb": There might be, but IMO it's best to
experiment and develop your own sound and style. Listen closely to other
recordings and maybe get a book on that topic (e.g. "Understanding and
Crafting the Mix" by W. Moylan is nice, though sometimes a bit chatty).
A mix is not only about panning. ;)

Again a tool more powerful than Audacity helps with all that.

Ciao

--
Frank Barknecht