Re: [LAU] Many identical cards - how to keep them straight

From: Adam Sampson <ats@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 19:19:24 EET

Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> The usual ALSA mechanism relies on PCI id and other stuff that,
> IIRC, is not going to distinguish between 3 identical cards.

If you're using udev, you can distinguish between the cards using the
device path, since that'll include the PCI slot number (which
shouldn't change unless you're hotplugging PCI devices, I assume).

There's a script to do it for USB devices here:
  http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Udev

I've adapted it to just match regexps against the device path, so you
can use it for PCI devices too. It seems to work for me, but I haven't
tested it thoroughly. (In particular, I'm sitting a few miles away
from the machine I'm testing on, so I haven't actually tried *doing*
anything with the sound devices yet...)

The script I'm using is here:
  http://offog.org/darcs/misccode/alsa-name

--