Re: [LAU] Using jacklab + rosegarden + soundcard midi input + mother board joystick midi output

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 11:06:50 EET

Am Dienstag, 18. März 2008 schrieb Hugh Lawrence:
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.
>
> I am a novice linux user and would basically like to know how to do the
> following, and any applicable advice you can give me.
> I would like to use my jacklab box as a midi controller as follows:
>
> pc #1: midi-out => jacklab box: audiophile 2496 midi-in => jacklab box:
> motherboard joystick port => external keyboard synth
>
> The audiophile works fine, I now would like to get the joystick port working
> with midi. I have read that I need to use the snd-mpu401 driver and at
> http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2005-02/msg00641.html have seen how to
> configure it.
>
> My questions are as follows:
> 1) is the alsa recompilation necessary in jacklab? Is there another way to
> get alsa to recognize the interface as a midi device in jacklab or is this
> the way to go...

No, the snd_mpu401 and snd_mpu401_uart drivers are included with JAD.

Yes, that's the way to go. Here, for a CreativeLabs Audigy2, the
snd_mpu401_uart module gets loaded automatically at boot, maybe there's an
option for your onboard soundchip driver to tell it to load/use the MIDI
driver? Maybe the YaST sound configuration offers this already (look in
"Advanced Setup" for the driver options list), otherwise the ALSA Wiki has
pages with descriptions of each driver's setup, including the module options.

Ah and by the way, on openSUSE/JAD any local additions for /etc/modprobe.conf
should be put into the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound.

Another thing to consider: There's two types of joystick-MIDI cables around,
"active" and passive". Creative invented this cut-down MIDI interface where
part of the interface is put into the cable to keep card prices low. I don't
know if this applies to onboard serial ports, I for one bought the wrong
(passive) cable after getting bad advice from the computer dealer, and it
took me weeks or even months to figure this out - only MIDI in (or -out, can't
remember now), was working.

> 2) upon getting the joystick port to work as a midi port, should I expect
> rosegarden to play nicely and see the new interface? I understand it
> *probably* should...

Yes.

> 3) can I expect the joystick port and soundcard to both work well at the
> same time or should I just get an external midi interface (eg, midisport).
> The jacklab box is a P4/1.6ghz/768 MB if it pleases you to know...

IMO they should work together.

> Thanks for any help...I just don't want to play around with this stuff to
> find out it doesn't work well.

Edgar