Re: [LAU] New User

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 19:35:10 EET

> Al Thompson wrote:
> > Hi all. I'm new here so I figured I'd introduce myself.

Hi.

<SNIP>

> > Is there a way to prevent the mixer from being made the default (and
> > only) audio device if I happen to mistakenly leave it connected? And
> > what happened to my PCM devices?

In general, yes, but not so much by 'preventing' the mixer from being
the default device as much as making the built in sound card the
default.

This is a bit distro specific but where ever you set up your Alsa
modules you can set which sound card is considered the default. On my
system it looks like this:

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
options snd-hdsp index=1

I presume that you probably have a driver for the internal device and
maybe USB-audio for the mixer. Just set the USB as 1 and the built in
as 0 and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,
Mark