[LAU] Piano Mic'ing

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 07:38:34 EET

Hopefully you will forgive me going slightly away from Linux, but at
least not towards windows or OSX.

I am interested in hearing what others think of the idea of using a
pair of small diaphram cardioid condenser mics on a baby grand in a
live setting. Something like a pair of M-Audio Pulsar IIs or a pair
of AT2021s? Because of the general room noise level, I'm thinking it
would have to be fairly closely positioned.

Other suggestions I've seen include using boundary mics, regular
SM57s or a small electret condenser (visually looks like a lapel
mic). The first and last of these don't sound like bad ideas, but
I'm somewhat captured by my idea with the pencil condensers.

I don't have any of the mentioned mics, so I can't just set them all
up and try them. If I have to make a somewhat blind purchase, I'll
probably go with the boundary mics, since I've worked with them
before. But, I thought I'd solicit conversation in the mean time.