[LAU] Focusrite Saffire line

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 05:42:18 EET

Hi People,

I'm thinking of getting one of the Saffire audio interfaces from
Focusrite. Anyone on the list using these units & happy with the
results? This, a little off-topic & subjective: happy with the pres &
conversion?

The SaffireLE,

http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_le/

, is the one I'm eyeing. As far as I can tell it's very similar to the
Saffire,

  http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire/

, only with 6 in/8 out compared to 4 in/10 out, & minus the
hardwar-powered plug-ins. I like having 2 more ins, & wont miss 2 less
outs. & I imagined the plug-ins, ahreware-powered or software woulkd be
useless under Linux. But the recent thread on the M-Audio Profire 2626
leads me to believe, maybe the times are changing.

I'm curious whether the DSP plugins might work in linux with FFADO.
Actually, true functionality of any of these models seem to require
software to adjust settings, so, what limitations are people noticing
right now running these in Linux? & will the pending beta release of
FFADO address the Saffire plug-in Suite hardware-powered use & whatever
other issues there are, if there are? Or is this a Wine solution?

Last, is anyone working on a clone of Pieter Palmers? That'd be pretty
useful...