[LAU] problems with headsets under Gutsy and PClinuxOS.

From: Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 11:24:45 EEST

hi

I am stumped with a problem using my microphones for recording my voice
under GNU Linux. I have two headsets: 1) a plantronics headset with a mic,
and 2) a Labtec single earphone with a mic. Both headsets work under the
copy of Microsoft Windows XP that I keep for testing, but neither works on
two systems that I have with Gutsy Ubuntu and one system that has PClinuxOS
2007.

I have tried lots of different stuff, and most of it is just flailing
around. Per the suggestion on this page, on my Gutsy system:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=710155&highlight=plantronics

I ran

$ alsamixer

and it gave me the output that is linked here, but not sure if it is helpful
or not:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhoto?uname=digitaltippingpoint&aid=5183427592431669697&iid=5183427704100819410

I then ran this command, which seems to make me think that the system is
seeing the headset:

cje@email-addr-hidden:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xfe024000 irq 17
 1 [Headset ]: USB-Audio - Plantronics Headset
                      Plantronics Plantronics Headset at usb-0000:00:13.1-2,
full speed
cje@email-addr-hidden:~$

But I am not getting any sound or recording with the plantronics headset,
although I can get sound but no recording with the Labtec headset.

I also went here,

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-media/+question/20753

and I tried to follow these steps, but I was unable to achieve step 8, which
is set Channel Mode to 2ch. I was only give a choice of 6ch or 8ch. Any
and all suggestions very much welcome! Thanks in advance for any help

---
Christian Einfeldt
---
At last I found a response that works for me!
1. In the upper right hand side of the screen there is an icon for audio
(Next to date and time).
2. Right click the Audio icon and choose Open Volume Control.
3. From the Edit menu choose Preferences.
4. Make sure there are checks next to the following items:
Headphone
PCM
Line-In
CD
Microphone
Mic Boost
PC Speaker
Capture
Channel Mode
Input Source
5. Close the Preferences window.
7. Click the Options tab
8. Set Channel Mode to 2ch
9. Set input source to Mic (not Front Mic)
10. Click the Recording tab
11. Click the mic icon for the capture slider to unmute the mic (there
should no longer be a red x there). You can adjust the volume of your mic by
using the sliders.
12. Close the Volume Control window.
Now when you use Skype you will have audio when you talk.
--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point