Re: [LAU] renoise vs rosegarden

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 18:34:25 EEST

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM, schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2008 16:47:46 Dave Phillips wrote:
> > schoappied wrote:
> > > Can someone explain me what the difference is between Renoise and
> > > programs like Rosegarden, Qtractor and reaper?
> >
> > Renoise is built upon the design of a module tracker. The others you
> > mention are more track-oriented audio/MIDI sequencers.
> >
> > The Renoise GUI may be a bit of a shock if you have no experience with a
> > tracker, but it's not really very complicated, perhaps no more so (or
> > even less so) than the contenders. ;)
> >
> > See Brett's post for other difference factors.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > dp
>
> Ok, so the question must be:
> 'what's the difference between a module tracker and a track-oriented
> audio/MIDI sequence?'...
>
> When do you use which app?

Depends on your needs. The track-oriented DAW is your more traditional
type of reocrding and mixing environment, meant to emulate (to some
extent) multitrack tape decks and hardware mixers. You would use this
for more general recordings, like recording live instruments, vocals,
etc.

Read here for details on mod tracking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker. I've never done module tracking
(not even back when I was a more hardcore Amiga user).

What kind of music are you planning on recording?

-- Brett