Re: [LAU] Focusrite Saffire line

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 12:40:28 EEST

Pieter Palmers wrote:
> sevol wrote:
>> Pieter Palmers wrote:

>>> I personally think times are changing, but change is slow...

>>> As things stand now, there are no plans to support the saffire's
>>> internal plugins. And if I do support for any (hardware or software)
>>> plugins related to these devices, I'll do whatever I can to make them
>>> native instead of WINE.
>>
>> I'm not really disappointed - hadn't given the DSP stuff much chance
>> of use atm. If/When the time comes, native has got to be better.
>>
>> Somehow the plugins thing hijacked my thoughts. In fact, certain other
>> issues seem more critical & pressing. Like, the front on the LE has 4
>> nice knobs: 2 level controls for frontside inputs 1 & 2; 1 for levels
>> of backside Main outs 1 & 2; & 1 for headphone levels. That seems to
>> leave a lot of input & output control unaccounted for, except via the
>> Saffire Control LE software GUI.
>>
>> & this would be a no-show in Linux, right? I guess the 2 analogue
>> line/instrument-in levels on back can be controllrd by, if existant,
>> volume knobs on whatever devices are connecting to them. So, maybe
>> that's covered. & sample rates will probably be handled by JACK/JACKCTRL.
>>
>> Then though, the MIDI Through is activated by a software switch. & the
>> High Gain switches for Instrument level sources is software
>> controlled. The S/PDIF external sync switch, likewise, & the same
>> situation as the nonworking S/PDIF input of the Firepod. A lot of the
>> output & mixing capabilities are based in software too. Is there going
>> to be a way to manage these? Full details not necessary, but could you
>> reveal the gist of what'll be lost?
>
> All input/output gain controls and configuration switches that are
> provided by the saffire control panel on other OS'es are supported in
> the FFADO codebase. We have control panels for all of the Saffire
> devices, and they are fully featured (except for the DSP stuff on the
> saffire white). There might be some bugs in them, but we have all info
> to fix them. The only thing you shouldn't expect is a fancy GUI... it's
> all very basic PyQT rapid prototyping stuff, but it works. If someone
> wants to tackle the GUI side of things, please do. The current prototype
> gui's illustrate how to use the control interface.

Excellent! This is great news & really better than hoped, even counting
Focurite's full support. I'll take this chance & congradulate you early
on these non-GMO babies, whatever the due date :) Hope the Mackie, Echo,
& other vendor supported stuff is working out too.

>>> I am. Still have about 30years of tweaking ahead though :).
>>
>> Ahh, then the rumors ARE true... had to ask, but 30yrs wait time ;)
> Technically I guess it's not really a clone though... I'm afraid it's
> going to be only a 50% genetic match. And as you might know that can
> make a huge difference :).

I will have to give that a try :)

>>> Pieter
>>
>> Thanks for the info,
>>
>> sevol
>>
>> p.s. Just read Andrew's message on the Freebob-devel list & see that
>> the S/PDIF capabilities are looking better, at least with FFADO
>> testing on the firepod. Hmmm...
>
> S/PDIF on the firepod should work when using FFADO. You can even install
> FFADO only for it's device control capabilities (clock source, mixer
> settings) and then run jack with the freebob backend for stable streaming.

Sorry, I was thinking out loud. S/PDIF - even FFADO - is beside the
point re my pod. The sync light glow's blue, never changes & syncs to
nothing. Use to sync up every 10th or 50th power cycle & stay a while,
but those days are gone. As an interface it's worthless.

Perhaps it's just as well, my knowledge of linux is straight up flimzy.
The only thing I 1/2-way understand is the pod problem.

> Greets,
>
> Pieter

best of luck,
                sevol