Re: [LAU] renoise vs rosegarden vs cubase

From: Andre Schmidt <andre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 00:18:44 EEST

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 21:48 +0200, schoappied wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 21:02:54 Andre Schmidt wrote:

> > > Ok, so the question must be:
> > > 'what's the difference between a module tracker and a track-oriented
> > > audio/MIDI sequence?'...
> >
> > some views,
> >
> > "real" module trackers have "all" included. that means i can still play
> > and edit! my fasttracker2 modules that i made like 15 years ago...
> > (probably also due popularity and open file format)
> >
> > but my midi tracks made with <pick your favourite midi sequencer> are
> > "useless" today, as i have sold my midi hardware and don't even have the
> > sysexs of the sounds anymore...
> >
> > module trackers are like a midi-(step)-sequencer that have samples and
> > sample-player built in. some have effects too, newer even synths...
>
> Ok, but you could also use Linuxsampler with rosegarden isn't it? Then you
> have also a sampler...

yup.

but AFAIK you still would have separate files for linuxsampler and
rosegarden (actually i haven't even tested those programs yet, so i may
be completely wrong). module trackers have all in one file.
(but in theory we could also let multiple apps to write in one file, or
use zips with scripts, and so on...)

> And isn't it possible to convert midi to *.wav?

yes, if you still have your sound generators around, be that samples,
soft/hard synths, what ever... my point was that only my tracker modules
are still editable after many many years of technology and life
chages... (i no pro, so no studio and bling bling)

> > but the biggest difference (beside looks) is probably the "work flow".
> >
> > "tracking" is pretty restricting and you stay 99% of the time on the
> > computer-keyboard (real trackers don't use midi-keyboards;) and
> > record/play/edit your piece seamlessly...
> >
> > in "sequencing" you move more between your (virtual-)midi keyboard, the
> > computer-keyboard and mouse...
>
> mmh, ok..... It seems to me that a midi keyboard is an advantage when you make
> music...

everyone should have at least one midi-keyboard! :)
alone because of the key velocity and and such...
(and not to forget, other midi/osc (opensoundcontrol) hardware;)

> And how does this programs relate to cubase?

cubase is AFAIK a midi/audio sequencer (but my memory is many years old)

.a