[LAU] Hi there!! Presentation & questions :)

From: Jorge <spesgmd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 16:30:26 EEST

Hi !!

Well, first of all, sorry for my "english" :)

PRESENTATION:

I have a problem (explained at the bottom) and looking for information to
solve it I've just come across this list and... I have to join it, so hello
everyone!! It's great to have a common place for linux audio people :)

About myself, I'm a linux user and guitarrist basically, and I have made the
decision to use for my recordings and "experiments" 100% free software only,
given the maturity of the actual audio apps and sound technology in Linux :)

If you are curious, you can hear my first recordings (of hopefully many to
come!) made with 100% free tools:

http://virb.com/spes

As you can see I listen to many different styles and artists, from Hendrix to
Dream Theater :)

--------------

PROBLEM

Now, the problem I'm trying to solve, and sure any of you could help me :)

I've just aquired a Maudio Delta66 (yes!! :D), and I know it's ok and
correctly connected, because it works in winXP (after rebooting twice, etc,
etc... hehe), but I have no sound here in Linux, and as I use only Linux
daily, and I also want to set up home recording studio, I *need* to fix
this...

INFORMATION:

I was using a onboard device, so I plugged the Delta, and disabled the
motherboard audio device on the BIOS, and restart...

I'm using Kubuntu 7.10. I installed alsa-utils-gui, wich has the envy24control
GUI mixer, what the delta66 needs (ice1712 driver).

I can see the device with lspci -v:
05:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24]
PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies Inc. M-Audio Delta 66
        I/O ports at ec00 [size=32]
        I/O ports at e880 [size=16]
        I/O ports at e800 [size=16]
        I/O ports at e480 [size=64]

And I can also see the modules loaded in the kernel:
# lsmod |grep 1712
snd_ice1712 65140 3
snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx 5120 1 snd_ice1712
snd_ak4xxx_adda 8832 2 snd_ice1712,snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx
snd_cs8427 9984 1 snd_ice1712
snd_ac97_codec 100644 1 snd_ice1712
snd_pcm 80388 4 snd_ice1712,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_i2c 6656 2 snd_ice1712,snd_cs8427
snd_mpu401_uart 9600 1 snd_ice1712
snd 54660 19
snd_ice1712,snd_ak4xxx_adda,snd_cs8427,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_i2c,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

And I don't see any error or message in dmesg.

I also can "see" in envy24control the signal of the music when I play it with
mplayer / Amarok / Ardour / etc... in PCMout1 and PCMout2, and also in the
Mixer L&R if I unmute it.

I'm routing HWout1 to PCMout1 and HWout2 to PCMout2, so it should be sending
the sound to the physical outs1&2 of the breakout box, right? (as I've got it
connected)... but I got no sound at all...

Does anyone has any idea about what can happen here?? Do I need to do anything
*special* to enable or unmute the card under Linux/Kubuntu/Alsa??

Any experience with this card, anyone?? :)

Thanks very much in advance!!

Jorge.