Re: [LAU] : jack CPU % is going crazy !

From: Mysth-R <mysthr21@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 12:43:44 EEST

2008/4/7, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>:

> Mysth-R wrote:
>
> > I forgot to precise that my sound card is a Presonus Firebox and run
> > with Freebob.
> > I got the idea to test with my U-control Uca202 (Behringer) Usb
> > sound-card, and there is no problems. The cpu percent is quite stable around
> > 2,1%.
> > It is a bit strange because I got the rtirq script congiured for my
> > firewire card. So it should not work better than my firewire ...
> >
> > I am a bit lost !! :O[
> >

> Is the 'real' cpu time (e.g. from top) also that high? It could be that
> there is a bug in the time reporting of the freebob backend, resulting in a
> bad calculation of the cpu time.
>
> Greets,
>
> Pieter

Hi,
It is very strange. I can't see a real correlation between cpu load
displayed by htop and the DSP load displayed by qjackctl.
In htop the cpu is quite unstable too, but it doesn'tt change at the same
time as the dsp load in qjackctl. Perhaps it is due to a latency. but I
can't say if is linked.
I have made some more test :

1- runing qjackctl with freebob backend : both dsp load (qjackctl) and cpu
load (htop) are unstable but not really linked.
2- runing qjackctl with alsa backend : dsp load is quite stable but cpu load
is unstable.
3- running jackdmp in a console with Freebob then alsa : cpu load is
unstable.
4- when jackdmp or qjackctl are killed : cpu load is normal around 2% and
stable.

So :
Is it normal that the cpu load displayed in htop is unstable ?
If it is, then as you said pieter, could it be a bug with freebob ??? I
never saw this before, on the same laptop but with 32bits OS.
Is there a problem in my kernel config ?
Is there a something wrong with jack or freebob with the 64bits arch ?

Well, if someone as some idea for me to make more tests ... I would be happy
;)

Mysth-R

--
*