Re: [LAU] : jack CPU % is going crazy !

From: Mysth-R <mysthr21@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 17:41:30 EEST

2008/4/7, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>:

> Mysth-R wrote:
>

> > 2008/4/7, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden <mailto:pieterp@email-addr-hidden>>:
> >
> > Mysth-R wrote:
> >
> > I forgot to precise that my sound card is a Presonus Firebox and
> > run with Freebob.
> > I got the idea to test with my U-control Uca202 (Behringer) Usb
> > sound-card, and there is no problems. The cpu percent is quite
> > stable around 2,1%.
> > It is a bit strange because I got the rtirq script congiured for
> > my firewire card. So it should not work better than my firewire
> >
> > I am a bit lost !! :O[
> >

> > Is the 'real' cpu time (e.g. from top) also that high? It could be
> > that there is a bug in the time reporting of the freebob backend,
> > resulting in a bad calculation of the cpu time.
> >
> > Greets,
> >
> > Pieter
> >

> > Hi,
> > It is very strange. I can't see a real correlation between cpu load
> > displayed by htop and the DSP load displayed by qjackctl.
> > In htop the cpu is quite unstable too, but it doesn'tt change at the
> > same time as the dsp load in qjackctl. Perhaps it is due to a latency. but I
> > can't say if is linked.
> > I have made some more test :
> >
> > 1- runing qjackctl with freebob backend : both dsp load (qjackctl) and
> > cpu load (htop) are unstable but not really linked.
> > 2- runing qjackctl with alsa backend : dsp load is quite stable but cpu
> > load is unstable.
> > 3- running jackdmp in a console with Freebob then alsa : cpu load is
> > unstable.
> > 4- when jackdmp or qjackctl are killed : cpu load is normal around 2%
> > and stable.
> >
> > So :
> > Is it normal that the cpu load displayed in htop is unstable ?
> > If it is, then as you said pieter, could it be a bug with freebob ??? I
> > never saw this before, on the same laptop but with 32bits OS.
> >
> FreeBoB is guaranteed 110% bug-free.

héhé :D

Is there a problem in my kernel config ?
> > Is there a something wrong with jack or freebob with the 64bits arch ?
> >
> It could very well be a 64bit issue somewhere. I haven't tested freebob on
> 64bit yet.
>

> > Well, if someone as some idea for me to make more tests ... I would be
> > happy ;)
> >

> It might be interesting if you could figure out exactly what the
> differences are between your setups. Mainly software versions etc...

well, on the same laptop I got a 32bits openSuse system and a gentoo 64bits
in dual boot.
I have tested on OpenSuse, with both Kde3.5 and Fvwm, just using qjackctl
0.3.2 with jackd 0.109 and it works perfectly.
Now on my gentoo 64 bits I tryed on both Kde4.0 and Fvwm-crystal, just using
qjackctl 0.3.2 and jackdmp0.70. I also tryed with qjackctl 0.2.23 (in case
it was due to QT4 library) and jackdmp-svn and jackd 0.109 : in all the case
I got the cpu load problem.

Do you think this is a firewire problem ? perhaps I forgot an important
option when I compiled my kernel (2.6.24-rt1)
I think I will try with another kernel. Will see if there is new kernel
available. otherwise I will try with an older (2.6.22 ...)

Thank you for your answer.

ps : pieter if you haven't tested freebob in 64 bits, perhaps you could give
me some guidelines, to test it and make a report for you ?

cheers,

Mysth-R

--
*