Re: [LAU] PulseAudio

From: Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 01:02:49 EEST

Don't know about Mandriva, but I found that on fedora 8
that pulseaudio doesn't seem to handle multiple
sound cards very well.

I have an RME Hammerfall, an Audigy2, and some VIA motherboard
sound device. Pulseaudio only seems to know about the VIA board
(it "sees," but can't seem to talk to the Audigy). It makes the
VIA board its default sound device.

The PortAudio library seems not to know about PulseAudio, and
PortAudio chooses the Audigy as the default device
(but it can get to the VIA board if you open device number 2 -- though
many apps that use PortAudio don't seem to have an obvious way to use
something other than the default.)

Consequently, things like mplayer, firefox, flashplayer, will use the VIA
sound device. But other things, like Audacity, will use the Audigy device.

I hooked up both the VIA and the Audigy
to my stereo, and depending which program I'm running,
I choose different inputs on the stereo. (Very klunky
solution, but, eh, I'm lazy/couldn't figure it out.)

Haven't used the RME with fedora 8, so don't know about that.

I did try to see how many devices PortAudio would see, and it
seems to see all the channels of the RME as well as the VIA and
the Audigy. PulseAudio doesn't
seem to know about the RME, iirc.

I am not in front of my machine right now, but iirc,
the sound device chooser (forgot what it's called) for PulseAudio
seemed to see the Audigy and the VIA, but not the RME, and selecting
the Audigy didn't actually work, only the VIA worked.

Sooooo, so far, I'm not too impressed with Pulseaudio.
Don't know if my experience is typical.

-- steve