Re: [LAU] Delta66 problem... still unresolved!!

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 20:09:56 EEST

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Jorge <spesgmd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Carotinho and Norval Watson thanks for the quick replies! :)
>
> I've been trying a little more with the card, but I still haven't been able to
> make it emit a single sound to the speakers, and I'm starting to worry about
> the Delta66 compatibility (I thought when I bought it it was mature enough to
> not having these kind of problems...) here is some more information:
>
> The sliders of the DAC, ADC in the "analog volume" were at 75% aprox, so it's
> not the problem... in fact, I see the signal in envy24control in the digital
> MIXER, so I'm routing everything ok I think (and I route HWout1&2 to
> DigitalMixer or PCM1&3)...

It make a big difference whether you route Digital Mixer or PCM to
HWout. If you route the digital mixer to the outputs, you need to
unmute and raise the levels of the sources you want to hear (PCM 1, 2,
...). If you route PCMs to HWout, this step is not necessary. Either
way, you need to raise the DAC levels of the the two hardware outs to
an appropriate value...

> BUT in that tab, someone told me I should have 10 sliders, but I only have 8
> (4 DAC and 4 ADC), is that normal? does it depends on the version?? my
> envy24control is version 0.6.0, and it shows in the console:
> ----------
> using --- input_channels: 4
> --- output_channels: 4
> --- pcm_output_channels: 8
> --- spdif in/out channels: 2
> ----------

I think 4 is correct; you only have 4 analog IOs on the breakout box.
The "A" is ADC/DAC is for "Analog."

> I also upgraded to the real time kernel (Kubuntu 7.10), and installed the
> backports to get ALSA updated to the version 1.0.15rc3... but it didn't work
> either (though the latencies were incredible low!!).
>
> I have confirmed that in windows I can get input signal, route it, mix it, and
> get an output to the speakers, so I know to use the mixer, and that the card
> works, and also that the input signal I'm trying is apropiate.
>

> NEW INFO: in Linux, although I can see the output signal in envy24, I can't
> see the input signals!! (the sliders of analog volume tab are at 75%)...

Which input signals? HW ins or PCMs?

> I'm really completely lost here, Google seems to be useless, and the people
> that tried to help me at #alsa couldn't figure this out either... how can I
> debug this problem to get more useful info?? I have no clue at all about what
> can be the problem, any idea please??
>
> Anyone has experience with a Delta66??

I've owned one for years, and it has always worked (since Red Hat 7.2,
IIRC). Maybe, as another poster suggested, there is some difference
in newer cards (mine is quite old).

paul