Re: [LAU] Adventures with Linuxsampler

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 19:04:17 EEST

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Al Thompson <biggles58@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I had decided to give Linuxsampler a thorough try, since many here recommend
> it. After FINALLY getting it to output actual sound, I realize that I also
> need the editor part (gigaedit), which of course, is NOT included in my
> distro's repositories. So, I wander over to the web site and find it in
> source format, which I can't get to compile yet. I need to figure out what
> all I need to get to compile it.
>
> However, which I was on the web site, I notice that there is a Windows
> version of both the sampler and editor. I figure I would give it a try. As
> much as I really want to get away from Windows, I also really wanted to try
> the sampler and editor in an environment that I know works (audio and MIDI
> work flawlessly on my XP setup).
>
> After installing it, it can't find any sound cards, and I can't force it to
> find either of the two that are available (1 usb and 1 on-board), even
> though every other program I use on Windows (Sonar, Soundforge) finds both.
> Apparently, linuxsampler insists on using asio, while everything else I use
> is happy with wdm.
>
> I give up. I'm not too enthusiastic about breaking my entire Windows audio
> system to try out the sampler. I'm not a total noob, but this is just too
> frustrating.

Counter trend comments here for a Linux Audio list. If you've decided
that you're going to use Windows then don't cause yourself problems
and go with GigaStudio or Kontact. The lowest end versions are
sub-$100, bundled with sound cards and/or some libraries, and have
feature sets and stability that LS just cannot match.

I personally wouldn't use LS but I cannot imagine a reason to use it
on Windows other than just to play around with.

My 2 cents,
Mark