Re: [LAU] Selling my RME HDSP 9652

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 02:44:15 EEST

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Kevin Cosgrove:
>
> > http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdsp9652.htm
> >
> > What else does one need to use with this in order to be able to
> > record & playback? It looks like A/D and D/A stuff will be needed.
> > What do you use? Do you connect via the ADAT optical I/O?
>
> Hi Kevin, the hdsp 9652 is 3 x adat i/o plus 1 spdif so you need
> external adat-capable gear. I had 2 behringer ada8000's which are
> cheap (These have 8 preamps, balanced plugs, clock, 8 line-outs
> that -- at least in these early behringer models -- inadvertently
> inverted phase, chinese quality all in all) but ok for what I could
> afford at the time.

I use an AI3 for inexpensive analog IO into one ADAT channel on my
HDSP 9652, and then a Benchmark DAC1 as my main converter going to my
monitors over the coax spdif output.

I have a second PC with an older Hammerfall 9636 which has two ADAT
channels. I use 4 optical cables between the two machine and can run 8
stereo soft synths outs without any mixing.

RME stuff is very stable and well built. Had this stuff for years and
it doesn't fail.

My one big gripe with the HDSP 9652 is the lack of support under
Linux. Wolfgang's card will be good for who ever buys it but do not
expect to use the latest RME drivers if you use dual boot since the
Linux HDSP driver requires older firmware. Also, the HDSP 9652 cannot
be used in a headless, non-GUI Linux box as there is no way to
initialize the mixer without manually running hdspmixer. Under Windows
the mixer is all set up automatically.

Hope this helps,
Mark