Re: [LAU] new! linuxmusicians.com

From: schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 12:45:36 EEST

Arthur wrote:
> david wrote:
>> Arthur wrote:

>>> No comment.
>>>

>> C'mon, I've heard you're a 10! ;-)

>>> Many mailing lists are not well represented on Google.
>>>

>> That's the fault of the mailing list, not Google. Any mailing list that
>> is shutting out the most-used web search engine is not serious about
>> sharing its contributions with others.

>>> Forums are preferred by some and certainly there is room for all
>>> opinions. I use forums to search my own user name and solve problems I
>>> had a year ago.
>>> They can be quite handy,
>>>

>> They're not handy enough that I'll sign up for a forum just so I can
>> search their contents.
>>

>>> but of course no one is suggesting that those
>>> who prefer mailing lists should stop using them.
>>>

>> The only way the two different ways of communicating work together is if
>> the two are bridged together, so that posts to one automatically show up
>> in the other. In the past, this has always led to massive amounts of
>> spam poisoning the email list unless some list/forum manager is working
>> full time at keeping it out. Many lists and forums have been killed by
>> such junk, just as their older brother (newsgroups) were killed before them.
>>
>> Forums - bah!
>>

> Hmm, I could be wrong, but it seems like some people don't care for
> forums.
> OK, I'm with you, how can we eliminate them. I'll stop all my other
> work and put all of my energy into stopping all of those forum jerks.
> Maybe we can start an anti-forum religion. Of course we'll need a
> leader so please vote for me as Furer, I mean president, Wouldn't that
> be nice. I've made myself clear already and I don't feel like this
> discussion is benefiting anyone on this mailing list so I must
> refrain from enjoying myself anymore.
> But really guys, you're being very closed minded. I don't care what
> you believe but do you have to try to make the rest of us believe it.
> I'll know you've succeeded when there are no more forums. I hope that
> the next time we communicate, I can help you with a problem or maybe
> you would help me. Forums, mailing lists, IRC chat, that's what they
> should be about,
>
> Arthur
>
> Arthur

Hi all,

I love music. I like to make it with Linux. But I'm not a ICT student....

I like to learn which apps are useful to make music on linux and I like
the idea and the good work of Linuxaudio.org. I like the way the
organisation is set up (as fas as I understand) with the website, there
members, there mailinglists, there IRC chat and the conference....

But, although I found, as a newbie, the linuxaudio.org, I didn't judged
that website as useful in my searching tour when I started to make music
with linux. Wiki's where old and the most of them where written by and
for programmers or ICT students. The level of the documents where to
high for a starter, very few had good pictures*** (of the jack
connections for example) and it took you a week to get a app installed
and another week to get it running... at the end you discovered that
there was a better app or that the project was dead....

Many communication in the Linux world today is by the use of forum. Not
many will subscribe to a mailinglist or will find the right IRC channel
for linuxaudio (see how empty ##linuxaudio always is..). There are many
(little) apps which are very useful but are only known by a couple of
('linuxaudio.org-') people...

Is making music on linux only for 'geeks'?? What is free and open?
Shouldn't also the less ICT minded and the 'newbies' or maybe the people
with not a IQ level on university level, have the change to make music
with Linux?

Again, I like the organisation of linuxaudio.org and the very good
answers on this list and I'll keep posting my questions here, because of
the useful answers, but I also want to make more people enthusiastic for
1) making music and 2) making music on Linux!

I think a forum will make the linux audio world a lot contactable, more
easy to join... And a good way to learn from more experienced people who
knows which apps are useful and which are old or buggy... The forum as a
sort of portal... And when people start the get the vibe on linux audio
they will finally join the mailing list, the #lad channel on freenode,
the linux audio conference and when they are older they will make the
nicest audio apps on linux!

Regards,

Dirk

*** Of course this was meant by 'pictures' on the forum. Everybody who's
studies some didactics knows that pictures are very important if you
want to learn people things or make things clear!